Carnival Spirit, the newest and largest ship to be home ported year round in Australasia, sailed into Auckland today on her maiden voyage to New Zealand.
Four months after her inaugural cruise from her new home port of Sydney, the months of planning and millions of dollars’ worth of major modifications are paying off.
Playing on the “big is better” theme, Carnival Cruise Lines has made some big changes for Spirit’s arrival down under. Bespoke upgrades include Green Thunder, the steepest and fastest waterslide at sea and Serenity™, a huge, luxurious child-free retreat with panoramic views of the big blue.
The new additions are just two examples of more than 40 zen to adrenalin activities that New Zealand families and couples can enjoy on Carnival Spirit every day of their holiday, any time of year.
American-turned-Antipodean, Jennifer Vandekreeke, Director Carnival Cruise Lines Australia & New Zealand, has been instrumental in honing the vast range of onboard activities which make up the new and unique holiday option for this market.
“We came down under because we felt Carnival Cruise Lines would be a great fit with the Aussie and Kiwi personalities – both being playful, outgoing and fun-loving. We also knew we’d need to make some upgrades to ensure Carnival Spirit was perfectly suited to discerning Australasian guests.
“We’ve demonstrated our commitment by spending more than $NZD8.5 million in upgrades which capture the delightful mix of antipodean personality and American style and service which is evident from Green Thunder to the coffee and even the backyard BBQ now installed onboard. We’re convinced Kiwis will love the collaboration as much as we’ll enjoy having them aboard. ”
Families looking for fun and memorable holidays at great value will find the right combination of ‘we-time’ and ‘me-time’ with unlimited family-friendly activities including WaterWorks –the ship’s aqua adventure playground and award winning youth programs that engage, inspire and entertain kids from two to 17-years of age. Adults and couples will enjoy the restaurants, bars, lounges, upgraded fitness centre and day spa.
Whether it’s ultimate relaxation or action-packed adventure, Aussies and Kiwis can explore every speed of holiday on sailings year round from three to 12 night voyages that explore the Pacific Islands, New Zealand, Melbourne and Tasmania.
FAST FACTS ON THE NEWEST AND LARGEST SHIP TO CALL AUSTRALIA HOME YEAR ROUND:
- At 292.6 metre long Carnival Spirit is almost three rugby fields long and if tipped on her stern, she’d be more than 30 metres higher than Rangitoto’s volcanic cone (260m)
- Holds up to 2,680 guests Too big to get under the Sydney Harbour Bridge, let alone the Auckland Harbour Bridge Over 1000 crew
- Over 40 onboard activities per day Features the steepest and fastest waterslide at sea With 1062 staterooms, Carnival Spirit offers more accommodation than Auckland’s two SKYCITY hotels and The Langham combined.
- 20 restaurants, bars and lounges Serenity – a huge child free, open air retreat with 270° ocean views
- 60 per cent of the cabins are balcony cabins – 682 in total – more than any other ship based in Australasia.
For more information on Carnival Spirit visit: www.carnival.com.au